One of the best rates of survival in the country for patients admitted in respiratory failure.
We may see you in our respiratory service if you have a respiratory disease such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), asthma, pulmonary fibrosis.
As well as our general respiratory clinics, we also have specialist clinics for lung cancer, sleep medicine, cough, bronchiectasis and pleural disease.
We can also help you if you suffer from a chronic cough – we offer the only chronic cough clinics in the North East and these run from our general hospitals at Wansbeck and North Tyneside.
One of the largest respiratory services in the North East providing specialist clinics for respiratory problems.
For sleep-related problems we have a sleep service which runs from all three of our general hospitals – Hexham, North Tyneside and Wansbeck – as well as our community hospital in Berwick.
If you have an interest in participating in research, our respiratory department is active in clinical research and a number of clinical trials are in progress at any time. Please speak to a member of our clinical team on 0191 293 4087 if you would like more information.
Where appropriate you may be asked to attend a respiratory consultation online via a video call.
Rather than travelling to your appointment, you go into the clinic’s online ‘waiting area’. We will be notified when you arrive and your clinician will join you when ready
You don’t need to set up an account and no information you enter is stored.
If you have been given an online appointment please click on the following link to start the consultation at your appointment time – online consultation
- What do I need to make a video call?
- A good connection to the internet
- A private, well-lit area where you won’t be disturbed during the consultation
- One of the following- Google Chrome web browser or Safari web browser
- Web-camera, speakers and microphone already built into your laptop or mobile device
- Is it secure?
Video calls are secure, your privacy is protected. You have your own private video room that only authorised clinicians can enter.
- How much does a video call cost?
- The video call is free (except for your internet usage)
- You don’t use any data while waiting for a clinician to join you
- A video call uses a similar amount of data to Skype of FaceTime
- If you’re using a smartphone or tablet, if you can, connect to a home or work Wi-Fi network to avoid using your mobile data allowance
Meet the Team
The only service in the North East to have a chronic cough clinic.