Summary of team:
A dedicated and team of Consultants, Specialist Nurses and Physiologists diagnosing and managing all forms of acute and chronic cardiac disease both in the community and on an out-patient and in-patient basis across Northumbria.
Referral from your GP or another team within Northumbria Healthcare.
In patient care on Ward 10, Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital and Ward 1, Wansbeck General Hospital.
Outpatient care and diagnostics throughout Northumbria including Berwick Infirmary, Alnwick Infirmary, Wansbeck General Hospital, Blyth Community Hospital, North Tyneside General Hospital and Hexham General Hospital.
We offer a wide range of diagnostic testing including:
- Echocardiography – standard, TOE, stress and contrast
- CT – coronary calcium scoring, angiography and FFR (HeartFlow)
- Ambulatory monitoring – Holter, event recorders and AliveCor; ambulatory blood pressure monitoring
- Invasive coronary angiography
- We and treat all forms of cardiac problem including:
- Coronary artery disease (angina and heart attacks)
- Atrial fibrillation and other forms of cardiac rhythm issues
- Heart Failure
- Implantable Cardiac devices – pacemakers, defibrillators and cardiac resynchronisation therapy
Following a referral from your GP or another specialty, you will be assessed by either a Consultant Cardiologist or one of our Specialist Nurses. They will offer a possible diagnosis and arrange further testing (imaging or monitoring) to make a definite diagnosis and then formulate a management plan that may include further testing, a procedure or a period of monitoring.
If requiring inpatient care, you will be admitted to one of our Cardiology wards and cared for by a comprehensive team of nurses, junior doctors and professions allied to medicine all under the guidance of a named Consultant Cardiologist.
Dr Iain Matthews Consultant Cardiologist and Head of Service, Cardiology
Mr Graeme Lowery Operational Services Manager, Cardiology