Summary of team:
A team of specialist dietitians, physical activity leads and clinical psychologists who will work with you to:
- Hear your weight, eating and activity story within the context of your life
- Help you to develop your own plan focussing on areas that are important to you
- Identify what works for you and what might be stopping you from making progress
Watch the video below to learn more about the service:
You must be registered with a North Tyneside GP surgery and 18 years or over
If you would like support to lose weight and your body mass index (BMI) is over 35 (32.5 for Black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds) or you have diabetes and a BMI of 30 or over your GP or practice nurse can refer you.
We are not able to support people who are pregnant, for more information speak to your community midwife.
North Tyneside venues face to face and online.
You will be supported through groups and individual appointments which can be in person or virtual, depending on your preference.
“I know what I should do to lose weight, but...”
“Sometimes it feels like I’ve tried everything and nothing works….”
“I can do it for a while but then I go off track….”
If this sounds like you and you meet the criteria for referral then speak to your GP or practice nurse about whether you are suitable for referral.
Anyone who wants to be considered for bariatric surgery is required to take part in the specialist weight management service as part of the preparation for surgery. Please speak to your GP to discuss this further.
Our specialist weight management service in North Tyneside aims to support you to lose weight. It will help you to look at your weight: thinking not just about what you do, but also why you do it.
You will learn more about calorie balance and how to create a calorie deficit that results in weight loss.
This free, 12-month programme includes:
- Group interactive sessions, led by a specialist dietitian, to identify food behaviours that you could change. An exercise specialist will help you to become more active at the right level for you.
- One-to-one appointments with a dietitian to discuss what has made weight loss difficult in the past, to identify reasons why you eat and to discuss food and physical activity changes that will help you to lose weight.
- Psychological support and support for managing emotional eating
- Structured sessions to become more active
You will initially be invited by letter to book a place on an introduction workshop held over three weeks. Once you have completed all three weeks you will have an appointment with a dietitian to discuss your next steps and action plan for the 12-month programme.
You can get help to:
- Become more confident to be active
- Break out of the ‘diet trap’ and identify small changes to your eating
- Look at the reasons why you eat in more detail, such as emotional eating, habits and work with you to find ways of managing them.
For more information please talk to your GP or practice nurse or contact our Healthy Hearts / specialist weight management team on 0191 293 4251
Click here to view our YouTube playlist and hear from people who have attended the service.
- Obesity UK - www.obesityuk.org.uk
- Obesity empowerment network - oen.org.uk
- Best eating disorders - www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk
- We are undefeatable - weareundefeatable.co.uk
- Living well North Tyneside - www.
- NHS healthier families - www.nhs.uk/healthier-families/recipes
- NHS the eatwell guide - www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/the-eatwell-guide