Different ways of quitting work for different people, the important thing is that you have made the decision to start trying. If one approach doesn’t work for you, try another, and think about trying different methods of support alongside each other.
You may prefer try quitting through self-management, using over the counter medication, apps or alternatives such as e-cigarettes.
– Choose a quit date that’s unlikely to be stressful
– Avoid having any cigarettes, matches, or lighters on you
– Avoid places where others may be smoking
– Be prepared for strong craving occasions for example; after a meal
Remind yourself why you’re quitting
– That you’ll be much healthier
– That you’ll be much wealthier
– That YOU want to be in control
– You will stop smelling of cigarettes
During the ﬁrst week
– Keep busy, get support from a friend, relative or your local Stop Smoking Service
– Stick to non-smoking areas
– Get plenty of fresh air, go for a brisk walk
– Keep telling yourself – “I can do it!”
Quitting with support and medication means you are four times more likely to give up for good.