We’re passionate about making sure every one of our patients has the best experience possible and that they feel valued and cared for.
We want to ensure people using our services are supported to make informed choices about their care or treatment and feel confident and in control. We expect that they will be listened to and treated with honesty, respect and dignity at all times.
We have what is seen as the most comprehensive patient experience programme in the NHS where we listen to the views of thousands of patients and visitors each year. This helps us better understand what we’re doing right and what we need to improve, and we act on this feedback where we need to. We carry out:
- Real-time surveys while people are still in our care so we can feedback to wards within 24 hours
- Short questionnaires that patients complete just before they leave hospital
- Detailed surveys sent after they have returned home to give a different perspective on their care
Experiences are measured on the things that we know matter most to our patients – consistency of care across the team, being treated with respect and dignity, how involved patients are in their care and the quality of their relationships with medical and nursing teams.
Our patient experience is one of the best in the NHS:
- 99% of outpatients and 96% of patients receiving hospital based care rate us as excellent, very good or good (Patient Perspective survey)
- 97% of patients receiving hospital care and 93% of outpatients are extremely likely or likely to recommend us (Friends and Family test).
- Patients receiving hospital-based care with us have rated us the best trusts in England outside of the major specialist centres (national inpatient survey)
We also seek views from patients and visitors through a long running programme called ‘We’re listening’ where patients and visitors can give us feedback on any aspect of care or the environment either though this website or within our hospitals.