Maintaining a healthy weight is really important.
As well as lowering the risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes and high blood pressures, it can also lower the risk of many different cancers.
It also helps to improve mental wellbeing and increase confidence.
We run specialist weight management programme in North Tyneside for adults and in Northumberland for children.
- Specialist weight management service North Tyneside
Our specialist weight management service in North Tyneside aims to support you to lose weight by learning more about calorie balance and how to create a calorie deficit that results in weight loss.
This free, 12-month programme includes:
- Group interactive sessions, led by a specialist dietitian, to identify food behaviours that you could change. An exercise specialist will help you to become more active at the right level for you.
- One-to-one appointments with a dietitian to discuss what has made weight loss difficult in the past, to identify reasons why you eat and to discuss food and physical activity changes that will help you to lose weight.
- Psychological support and support for managing emotional eating
- Structured sessions to become more active
Your GP or practice nurse can refer you if you are 18 years of age or older and have a body mass index of 35 or above, or if you have diabetes, or at risk of diabetes, with a body mass index of 30 or above.
You will initially be invited by letter to book a place on an introduction workshop held over three weeks. Once you have completed all three weeks you will have an appointment with a dietitian to discuss your next steps and action plan for the 12-month programme.
For more information please talk to your GP or practice nurse or contact our Healthy Hearts / specialist weight management team on 0191 293 4251 or see here to find out more about the programme or here to hear how people have benefitted from it.
Alternatively, you can ask your GP or practice nurse about exercise referral for help and support to become more active or contact our Healthy Hearts team on 0191 293 2736 for more information.
- Starting Well for Life children's healthy weight service