We provide compassionate care where its needed at home, in hospital and in our specialist Palliative Care Units.
What is Palliative Care?
We aim to improve the quality of life of patients with potentially life-limiting illnesses, and their families. This includes pain relief, managing other symptoms and providing emotional support.
Palliative care can help people when they are first diagnosed, as well as supporting people throughout their illness, and as they approach the end of their life.
Who is the Palliative Care Northumbria Team?
We are an NHS service providing palliative care to patients at home and in hospitals in Northumberland and North Tyneside.
Our team includes nurses, doctors, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, technical instructors and social workers who specialise in palliative care.
We also work closely and in partnership with several other health and social care providers including GPs, Marie Curie, Macmillan and social services.
Bringing specialist palliative care services closer to home and offering more choice for patients and their families
What to expect from the team?
We will work closely with you and others involved in your care including your GP and district nurse, or hospital ward staff.
Not everyone needs on-going support from the palliative care team – we aim to support you when you need us most. Your care will be led by your GP or hospital ward staff.
We can provide:
- Medication advice for pain and other symptoms
- Future care planning about your treatment and care
- Help to remain independent for as long as possible, including rehabilitation, mobility and breathlessness advice
- Emotional support for patients, family or friends of patients caring for them
- Bereavement, befriending and information support services through our Macmillan Support Services. They also run a Day Hospice in North Tyneside
- Information and help with contacting other specialist services who can offer advice and support
- We are always happy to be asked questions about your care and medications.
Awards and recognition
The Palliative Care Northumbria Team are delighted to have received several awards in recognition of our services and support to patients and their families. Most recently we won the Kate Grainger Compassionate Care Award in 2017 and the Partnership Working category of the Patient Experience National Awards 2017.