Our multiple sclerosis (MS) specialist nurses provide support, advice, information, education and help if you are affected by MS.
The service is available to anyone with a confirmed diagnosis of MS and you can either self refer or ask your GP, consultant neurologist or other health professional to refer you.
Our service provides a range of support including:
- Advice and support on managing your symptoms
- Monitoring of disease modifying treatments
- Home visits
- Nurse-led clinics
- Joint clinics with a consultant in rehabilitation medicine and the continence service
- Courses for those who are newly diagnosed with MS which give an introduction to the condition, with speakers discussing various aspects of living with it
- Lifestyle advice
- Telephone advice line
- Referral to other services and support
Clinics are held at Berwick and Alnwick infirmaries, Morpeth Cottage Hospital, Blyth Community Hosptial and Hexham General hospital. A clinic is also held at Benmar house in Morpeth.
If you are not able to attend a clinic appointment the nurse will visit you at home.
You can talk to the MS nurse for any question you may have about - whether it’s about symptoms, treatment or medication. You can also talk to them if you’re finding it difficult to cope with any aspect of your condition or for general information about MS.
The team consists of specialist nurses who offer the service across Northumberland.
MS Specialist Nurse Service
North Locality Office
Unit 3 Linnet Court
Tel: 01665 511971, Monday to Friday 9am- 5pm (excluding bank holidays).
If you need urgent care, call your GP or district nurse. In an emergency call 999.