We know that additional practical and emotional support may be needed during the last few months of life for a patient with a palliative (non-curable, life-limiting) condition.
Our community nursing support team provides an additional supportive care service for patients and their families which focusses on personal care to patients and carer relief for their families. This might include providing:
- Help for with personal care such as bathing and dressing
- Care during the day or overnight to relieve the main carer
- Support if the main carer is unwell or if the patient suddenly needs 24 hour care
- Help with leaving hospital
- Up to 24 hours of care in the last 48 hours of life
- Care to patients needing to leave hospital quickly
This is complementary to the other mainstream nursing and social services providing care.
Community nurse support team
Shiremoor Resource Centre
Tyne and Wear