The community nursing support team provides a supportive care service for patients with a palliative (non-curable, life-limiting) condition and their relatives over and above mainstream nursing and social care. The service can offer support during a patient’s last 6 months of life and is complementary to the other services providing care.
Care given is primarily personal care and emotional support to the patient and practical, emotional and carer relief for the patient’s family. This might include providing:
- Help for with personal care such as bathing and dressing
- Care during the day or overnight to relieve the main carer
- Support if the main carer is unwell or if the patient suddenly needs 24 hour care
- Help with leaving hospital
- Up to 24 hours of care in the last 48 hours of life
- Care to patients needing to leave hospital quickly
The team includes healthcare assistants, team co-ordinator and a community nursing liaison sister who works alongside district nurses and the specialist palliative care team.
Community Nurse Support Team
Shiremoor Resource Centre
Tyne and Wear