Our children’s speech and language therapy service can help children and young people up to 18 years old with a variety of problems
- Feeding and swallowing difficulties
- Mild, moderate or severe learning difficulties
- Physical disabilities
- Language delay
- Specific language impairment
- Specific difficulties in producing sounds
- Cleft palate
- Autism/social interaction difficulties
- Voice disorders
If your child has a stammer we have special services to help, and our team will support them to increase their confidence in speaking, help with their fluency and also give you targeted help on specific speaking situations which they may struggle with.
We deliver the speech and language therapy service in clinics, children’s centres, schools, special schools and at home.
If you are a parent or carer you can contact our speech and language therapy service directly, just contact the nearest team to where your child lives (see contact details below).
Alternatively health visitors, GPs and school staff can make a referral for a child or young person. You can contact the service on the numbers below:
Tel: 0191 2196711
Alnwick or Berwick
Tel: 01665 511 880
Castle Morpeth, Ashington or Wansbeck
Tel: 01670 564029
Tel: 01670 392754
Tel: 01434 636940
- nas.org.uk– the National Autistic Society website contains information about autism as well as links to help available for both children and parents.
- Downs Syndrome educational trust
- Afasic– national charity that helps families affected by speech and language problems
- Contact a Family– UK charity providing advice, information and support to the parents of all disabled children – no matter what their disability or health condition
- ICAN– a national charity that works to help children communicate
- British Stammering Association– information aimed at adults, parents, teenagers and teachers and employers.
- apraxia-kids.org– this is an American website containing information on and about children who suffer from apraxia
- Speech Teach– for parents with children with speech difficulties and provides chat room facilities and materials for working with your child
- The Hanen Centre– information about training programmes for young children with language delay issues
- Makaton– information about Makaton, a language programme that incorporates signing into a child’s communication to assist with their overall communication development