Useful websites to promote healthy workplaces
There are lots of organisations offering support and advice on a number of topics around health and well being.
See the links below.
General information on workplace health and well being
(All external links open in a new window.)
- ACAS - The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service. The service operates a national helpline on 08457 474747.
- The Equality and Human Rights Commission - various Acts can be downloaded, along with explanations and advice.
- The Health and Safety Executive - provides information and advice on Health and Safety at work.
- Health and Safety Executive stress management standards - includes guidance on managing stress in the workplace.
- Creating a Healthy Workplace - A Guide for Occupational Safety and Health Professionals and Employers is available from UK's Faculty of Public Health.
- Legal Services Commission - provides information on legal matters including Legal Aid. It also runs the community legal service which provides an information line on debt, housing and benefits - 0845 345 4 345
- National Association of Citizens' Advice Bureau provides information on your rights as an employee.
- NHS Employers offers advice to employers and staff on stress in the workplace.
- The Trades Union Congress (TUC) - provides information on a range of workplace issues; in particular, health and safety.
- WorkSMART offers advice on work-related health for all workers and employers, with useful links to other relevant sites.
Mental health and well being
- Employers for work-life balance - provides examples of flexible working hours in companies across the UK
- Managing sickness absence and return to work - provides information from the Health and Safety Executive website on managing sickness in the workplace.
- MindOut for Mental Health 'line managers resource' (PDF, 277Kb) - a useful guide to supporting staff with mental health issues in the workplace.
- Women’s Aid - a charity for women experiencing domestic abuse and provides a useful online information pack of the support available locally and across the UK
- Domestic abuse 24 hour helpline 0808 2000 247
- Victim Support 0845 30 30 900
- Northumberland Woman’s Refuge 01670 820199
- Relate (for any relationship issue) 0191 2329109
- The Health and Safety Executive have guides for employers on managing alcohol at work called Don’t Mix It, and another on drug use in the workplace, Drug Misuse at Work (PDF, 156Kb)
- DrugScope - provides reliable information on drugs and their effects.
- Alcohol Concern - gives help and advice on alcohol related issues and the support available.
- Escape Drugs support helpline 07702 833944
- Alcoholics Anonymous 0191 5214400
- Carers UK, Carers and work - gives information to help people who look after someone to juggle work and caring, and make choices about returning to work.