Our walk-in services at Hexham, North Tyneside and Wansbeck general hospitals provide urgent care for less serious conditions. From 1 December 2016 these urgent care centres will be open from 8am to 12 midnight. You can call NHS 111 for urgent medical advice 24/7.
These hospitals treat conditions such as:
- Minor head, ear or eye problems
- Broken nose or nose bleed
- Sprains, strains, cuts and bites
- Children's minor injuries and ailments (for children, and particularly babies, we would always advise parents to call ahead by using the free NHS 111 service)
- Minor fractures or broken bones
- Abscesses and wound infections
Our walk-in services are staffed by highly experienced emergency nurse practitioners who have trained and worked in emergency care over many years and already look after the thousands of patients who attend our departments every year with less serious injuries or ailments. They are qualified to do many of the things that traditionally would have been done by a doctor in the past and can independently organise tests such as scans and x-rays, interpret the results and begin treatment for patients. We also have a medical presence on site from 9am to 10pm seven days a week.
If you need urgent help from a dentist call the free NHS 111 number and you will be signposted to a dentist that can help.