If you need additional assistance reading our website please use our accessibility tool.


Wednesday started with a repeat visit to the surgical ward for Seana Kenney

Friday, 04 July, 2014
Wednesday started with a repeat visit to the surgical ward for Seana Kenney

Wednesday started with a repeat visit to the surgical ward for Seana Kenney (tissue viability nurse) and Veronica Gingell (facilities operational manager) . It was evident that the consignment of bandages could not come soon enough. One young man, who was epileptic, had had a fit over an open fire. After burns to his chest, back, neck and arms he had now been an inpatient for four months. Two grafts later and in constant agony, daily physiotherapy and dressings was all the treatment available.

Two more of the patient’s stories were related to muggings. All three of these unfortunate victims had chronic pain and contractures that would likely limit them substantially in later life. Lucky to be alive and surviving the ongoing battle with infection, it would be many weeks before any of them left the hospital.

Veronica then visited the children’s ward, accompanied by Sister Petronella, and was really impressed by what she found. With forty-five well-crafted wooden incubators for neonates and wards separated into medical and surgical sections, there was an atmosphere of organisation and calm. Two cases that stood out were of a child with measles and a child with typhoid. Prompt education of the families regarding hygiene and spread of infection had already been discussed along with the appropriate administration of medical treatment. 

Organisation needed to become a priority, as on Friday some members were due to take day trips to the local villages. Thankfully, Sr Redempta, who was the previous matron of KCMC, was on hand to guide us through this process. MrsMungure (Director of Finance)was able to assist us with all of the finance issues and Boniface, the head tutor for physiotherapy, updated us with the outstanding burns project issues.

Liam Horgan (Laparoscopic Surgeon) spent the day with Dr Kondo. The plans for the laparoscopic course were coming into place. We were rounding up all the equipment from cupboards and dusty forgotten places and testing for faults. We still needed a few bits and pieces, however the laparoscopic kits were all operational. Many of the problems faced before with IT were still ever present. Some unconnected wiring had derailed the linkup with Northumbria. After the reorganization of what could only be described as a circuit of cables not dissimilar to spaghetti junction, everything turned on. Unfortunately the internet capacity had become too slow to sustain any connection across the globe. Further work is being done to improve the connectivity of the system.