If you need additional assistance reading our website please use our accessibility tool.


The heavens opened once again overnight with heavy rainfall

Friday, 04 July, 2014
The heavens opened once again overnight with heavy rainfall

The heavens opened once again overnight with heavy rainfall. Ripe avocados thudded onto the roof of our accommodation during the night accompanied by the chattering of the monkeys in the trees gorging on the ripe fruit. It was a cloudy and cold start to the day as we piled into the jeep once again to head up the mountain to Kibosho Village to visit the primary schools and district hospital. The children were delighted to see us and really enjoyed the play acting as Jerome Marshall, the clinical psychologist, showed the children how easy it was to be distracted and allow accidents to happen in the home. Katie Piper talked to the children about the importance of being a good friend to those who have suffered burns injuries and that the support of the community for burns survivors was needed to give them the best chance of living a fulfilling life after their injury. As Katie led a final question and answer session to find out how much the children had learnt from the lesson, hands were thrust into the air and everyone wanted to be the first to answer!

The theatre team had a long and challenging day with three cases taking more than 12 hours to complete. A nine-year-old boy had a very severe skin contracture of the neck causing his bottom lip to join his chest. A number of skin grafts were successfully performed to free up the neck and remove hardened scar tissue. Meanwhile on the wards sister Fiona Coia and sister Claire Swales provided post operative care for the patients working with experienced KCMC nurses as a team to provide the best possible outcome for the patients. Both intensive care and the burns ward were beginning to fill up with patients who had been operated on and still people kept arriving hoping to be one of the lucky ones to receive life-changing surgery. The procedures were more complex than anticipated and extra theatre staff had to be brought in so that the team could continue to operate into the evening. Specialist nurse Peter Smith was drafted in to bring the complement of staff up to the required level. The team finally trudged home in the dark just before 10pm, exhausted but satisfied that they had achieved such a good outcome from what had been a particularly challenging day.