Our general hospitals continue to be busy hospitals treating the majority of our patients. They provide:
- Treatment for patients coming into hospital for planned treatment, procedures and operations
- Diagnostic tests, scans and procedures
- Care for those patients returning from the new specialist emergency care hospital
- Provide urgent care for less serious conditions at 24/7 walk-in services
- Oncology (cancer) treatment.
- Outpatient clinics.
There will be a range of new services developed with local GPs and local authorities.
The new specialist emergency care hospital will give us space to improve North Tyneside and Wansbeck general hospitals. Facilities on wards will be improved to provide patients with greater privacy and dignity, with bathrooms in bays and en-suite single rooms. This will also help with infection prevention and control. Hexham General Hospital is a new modern hospital so doesn’t need refurbishment; it already has mostly single rooms with bathrooms.
Services at our community hospitals
Minor injuries units continue to treat the same patients they do now.
Community hospitals also continue to provide the range of services they do now however, where possible, we will be increasing the range of services for patients.
We continue to transfer patients to community hospitals for care after treatment at The Northumbria hospital.